The City of Sandy Springs Police Department shared the following quick tips on how to help keep you and your family safe during this holiday season:
If you are traveling:
- get an automatic timer for your lights;
- ask a neighbor to watch your home and park in your driveway from time to time; and
- have all mail and newspaper delivery stopped.
If you are out for the evening:
- turn on lights, radio or TV so it looks like someone’s home;
- be cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave even if for a few minutes; and
- don’t display gifts where they can be seen from outside.
If you are shopping:
- stay alert and be aware of what’s going on around you;
- park in well-lit space and be sure to lock the car;
- close the windows;
- hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk before you arrive at your next destination;
- avoid carrying large amounts of cash;
- deter pickpockets and purse-snatchers by carrying a purse close to your body, not dangling by the straps;
- put a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket; and
- if shopping with kids, teach them to go to a store clerk or security guard if you get separated.
“Don’t forget that with the holiday season on the way, thieves will be looking for easy targets. Lock your doors, Take your items with you if possible, and Hide them out of view if you can’t take them with you.” City of Sandy Springs Police Department.