2 cups self-rising flour
dash of salt
½ teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons shortening
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup sweet milk
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Sift flour, salt, and sugar together into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture is coarse.
- Add buttermilk, milk, water, and 1 tablespoon of the butter. Mix lightly until combined, but do not overmix. Pour mixture out onto a floured surface.
- Knead dough two or three times. (If biscuits are to be used for sandwiches, such as ham biscuits or other breakfast sandwiches, knead them a few extra times.)
- With floured hands, pat out the dough to approximately ½-inch thickness.
- Using a floured biscuit cutter or standard size can, cut out biscuits. Do not twist the cutter when doing this; press straight down. (Dough scraps can be re-kneaded and cut, but biscuits from this cutting will be tougher, more suitable for sandwiches.)
- Place biscuits on a lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove biscuits from oven and brush them with the remaining butter.
- Serve immediately.
Do you have any questions or comments? Please let me know!